Saturday 6 July 2013

Warning: hardly any mention of horses in this post......

So we all know I'm a bit of a sci-fi geek. OK, more than a bit, actually a huge geek, have been ever since Kerr Avon first hit our screens back in 1978 (and I remember my parents used to insist on me getting my very boring history homework done every Monday night before I could watch Blake's 7). I love it all, Star Wars, Babylon 5, the Battlestar Galactica reboot, Star Trek, especially the reboot (but not DS9 or Voyager, too boring). Then there's the funny stuff, Red Dwarf, Spaced, Galaxy Quest.....

So how did I manage to miss Firefly for over 10 years? Just watched it for the first time and there's spaceship AND horses! And some complex, dysfunctional  characters, witty dialogue, great quotes and an amazing ship. I love Serenity, in how many other spaceships do you get to see bog roll? Mal Reynolds actually goes to the toilet!! Never saw Roj Blake ever do that........

So obviously, the whole thing got cancelled after just one series. Bummer. Still, at least I have the Blakes 7 reboot to look forward to. It could be amazing if they get it right, so why hasn't anyone asked Joss Whedon to do it? And I want Richard Armitage to play Avon, he's already got the black leather look from Robin Hood and he was a total badass as Thorin Oakenshield......


That's why I love all these series so much really, for the badassery. Who wouldn't want to be able to say stuff like
"If anyone gets nosy, you know, just... shoot 'em."

Or

"Staying with you requires a degree of stupidity of which I no longer feel capable."

Or

"you get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than with just a kind word. "

Or
"Ten thousand light years from nowhere, our planet shot to pieces, people starving, and I'm gonna get us in trouble?"

Plus there's the (often outrageous) outfits, the big guns, the fights (especially in Firefly, I think Mal Reynolds gets beaten up/shot/tortured in pretty much every single episode) the high body count, the heists, the sex, the monsters......

Dunno why people think being a geek is so dull, personally......

And sometimes there's even a horse or two :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, please leave them, but have to moderate them because there are some strange people Out There.......thank you for your patience :-)